Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Walk In the Park

Who doesn't love a walk in the park? I am fortunate enough to work for a family who lives 3 blocks from the famous Lincoln Park and Lincoln Park Zoo! Where many flock to during the summer, the zoo is just as much fun during the cooler seasons. With free admission, spacious walkways and a wonderful old-fashion carousel how could I pass up this walk on a warm winter day?


Baby Boy and I bundled up, weather being just above 40˙, and headed out the door for the brisk 5 minute walk through the park to the zoo. We first came to a pond, a very large pond, swimming with ducks and geese, the only winged creatures that enjoy the frigid Chicago winters. There were only a few other families walking around, for it was middle of the workday, which allowed both Baby Boy and I to take our time while wandering the zoo. (A wonderful contrast to the busy spring and summer crowds). As we walked closer to the bridge that would cross us over to the main area of the zoo, I heard a sound that was similar to an elephant but was confused since we were only 100 yards from a very busy street and saw no large buildings for such a large animal. My curiosity got the best of me and as I climbed the small hill to the bridge, I couldn't help but burst out in laughter. Only in Chicago would there be cows in a zoo! Four cows stared back at me through a white post and rail fence, mooing and swishing their tails. It was a small reminder to never forget my roots.

The rest of the zoo was wonderful. We made our way past the kangaroos, zebras, deer and seals to the cat den. The Lincoln Park Zoo is home to lions, tigers and... leopards! OH MY! And it was an 'Oh My' day because not only did I get to see a tiger 2 feet from my face (through a thick layer of glass, not to  worry) and a lion 10 feet from my face (through a very heavy duty wire fence) but Baby Boy and I heard the growls of a tiger that, in the large, open building echoed so beautifully. People stopped in awe as the tiger climbed to the top of his indoor space, pacing back and forth making these low yet loud noises. Although Baby Boy probably couldn't see the tiger completely, he was aware of the noise and thankfully was not bothered by it the least (phew!). We finished our walk with the 'kids' zoo, consisting of a wolf, two beavers and a play area that Baby Boy was too young for. My guess is however, that come spring and summer the kid's zoo will be a bit more populated with the outdoor creatures. Next time Baby Boy and I go to the park, we will make sure to take the camera! It's so cool to see a Zebra in the snow!

No comments:

Post a Comment