Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hobby

After two weeks of sitting in front of the television watching useless shows and reading article after article online when Baby Boy slept, I realized that the time I spent in front of a piece of technology was starting to add up to a ridiculous number. I had to find something to occupy my time that wouldn't make me feel like such a couch potato. Although I took up completing crossword puzzles, it quickly became boring when the Chicago Tribune started re-listing previous days' clues, over and over again. So I was in search for another hobby that wouldn't be too expensive and that I might actually enjoy. While looking at baby toys online for one of my previous posts I was drawn to the simplistic yet beautiful woven stuffed animals. I've seen them before in little boutiques around the city and on websites such as Etsy. I figured if other people can do it, why not me?! I bought some yarn, a crochet kit, using a Michael's coupon I found in the newspaper (woot!), and began my search. Having not practiced this art in a while, I searched on youtube to find a tutorial on reading patterns. (If you haven't seen a crochet pattern before it's something similar to short hand. There are lots of single letters and combination of numbers and letters to guide you through the steps of crocheting. Complicated if you don't know the abbreviations.) I found a step by step tutorial to make a giraffe and here is my final product! Please remember that this is my very first attempt at crocheting anything, so be kind! More to come soon. I am currently working on a cute little blue penguin. Maybe, one day, you'll see these on Etsy to purchase!

1 comment:

  1. A fantastic first! You've got the knack for crocheting -- show us a pic of the little blue penguin.

    ReplyDelete