Thursday, March 17, 2011

Firsts...

Okay, well today wasn't full of firsts, but it was close. I guess it started last night, when for the first time, I summoned up the courage to wander to the basement of my 16 story apartment building in hopes of finding a workman to repair a few things in my place. I've neglected this for a while and have now lived with inches of water in my tub while showering, a leaking bathroom faucet, a broken kitchen light and no screens in my windows. With no one downstairs to help, I left a note and within 40 minutes standing at my door was a large (in width) Polish man in a janitor's suit with 'Stan' embroidered on his right chest pocket. After the quick 'hello' and 'what's the matter with your place?' he became very chatty, and I quickly realized that asking him where he was originally from, since his accent was so thick, was probably the wrong move on my part if I had wanted to call it an early night. Once he came back with the new light bulb and the drain-o for the bathroom, he refused to work until I played him something on my piano. I tried to back out of it saying that it was too late, but he wouldn't accept that, telling me of a resident on the 15th floor who plays his baby grand (which I'd love to know how he got that up there) so loud that residents are always complaining. With a resistant workman at my door, and the minute hand clicking closer to 9:30, I pulled out the Canon in D in hopes that playing a page would please him. I finished, turned around, and he smiled and said, 'With a little practice, you'll be great!'.... Not what I was expecting him to say. Thankfully though, Stan went back to finishing his work. However, I still couldn't get rid of him. I asked about the screens (stupid me, should have just let that one go), and after a nice long conversation about how no one gets screens until the windows have been cleaned professionally from the outside, but if I stop by on Saturday or Sunday he might be able to get me a few, I smiled, thanked him and... 'But, if I install them you have to play the guitar and sing,' Stan said in a thick Polish accent. Shoot. I thought I was home-free. I laughed, agreed to consider it, and sent him on his way. What I thought would be a nice 10 minute visit, ended up taking close to 30 minutes. BUT, I will say this. I have learned that it is good to know the workmen in your building, because if you want to make sure pigeons aren't flying through your window when you feel that it's a warm enough day to open them up, then you'll need a friend who works in the building to help you out. So that was a first, meeting the workmen.

Another first. Babysitting and nannying a newborn always leads to the inevitable. Spit-up. I've had it down my back, on my pants, sleeves of shirts and sweaters, fronts of shirts and sweaters, hair and hands. However, today, was a great first. Baby boy got it down the inside of my shirt. I have no idea how in the world it happened, but he must have had the right angle, and I must have been leaning forward just so... SPLAT. Thank God for button up sweaters, and the family's washer :-)

And another first. Well a second, but first for pictures! Baby Boy and I went to the zoo. It was close to 65˙ today so we went for a stroll to the Lincoln Park Zoo. More animals were out today, and there were many more people out as well.  The stands were selling fresh popcorn ($3 a container...), the zoo cafe was open and the carousel was in full swing (ha). Here's what we saw!









This one's for Lins!

No comments:

Post a Comment