Sunday, February 27, 2011

Fingers-Crossed and A Prayer for Dinner

As many know it's hard to get started on your own with a very limited budget, especially when it comes to feeding yourself. I must say that I was blessed that my mother went through her cupboards for extra cutting boards, cloths, oven mitts among a few other vital pieces, but when it comes to food, its hard to pre-pack anything that isn't a non-perishable (thanks again mom for the pasta and chicken broth - which she might now just be figuring out I took!). So my first stop at the grocery store left me with a heart attack, an empty pocket and very little in my refrigerator. Because Chipotle had a buy one get one free deal, I have been living off of their Burrito Bowls for 3 days! But tonight it was time to make dinner. With $10 worth of chicken (I bought in bulk, froze most, left a few pieces for this week), a bag of celery quickly losing its structure, chicken broth, onions, garlic, an orange, an apple, rice, half a roll of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, Nutella and a box of Cheerios, I figured I'd take the crock pot out (shout out to Grandma for that one) and cook up the chicken. I added what I knew would work best together, including Chicken broth, onions, garlic, celery, oil and butter, and with that childlike faith, crossed my figures, said a prayer, and thought, 'It can't turn out to be that bad'.

To my great delight, it wasn't half bad! Of course, without salt, pepper, white wine (which will be added to my next grocery list) and most extra veggies, it wasn't as full of flavor as I would have liked, but it did well. I made up a cup of Jasmine rice, saving the extra of course for future use, and threw the chicken on top of the rice to make a substantial meal! Add four small crescent rolls and I was full after my first serving, with 1+ servings left for tomorrow night's dinner! It was sort of like Chicken Rice Soup, minus the broth, carrots and any other veggies.



1 comment:

  1. Mmm...good job! Bet it was delicious.
    Is that a Lenox Butterfly Garden plate from Grandma Lucy?

    ReplyDelete