Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sweet-Salty Tooth

I am the daughter of a sweet-toothed mother and a father who would prefer something salty. I got the best of both. I love sweet and I love salty. However, I can only take a pinch of either at a time. So tonight when I was picking my mom's brain about Agave Nectar as a replaced for sugar in recipes, I stumbled upon The Kitchn (no, it's not spelled incorrectly) that gave me not only a great insight to this sweet treat, but other recipes that others had discovered by sheer accident! Have you ever had ice cream made with only ONE ingredient? But not only ONE ingredient, but ONE ingredient that won't go straight to your hips, thighs or butt? Have frozen bananas and a food processor? I was so skeptical when I saw this, but I knew I had frozen a few bananas last week, so I pulled out my Magic Bullet, one frozen banana (just one in case it didn't work) and gave it a try. And would you believe it, it worked! It's fantastic! I added a scoop of peanut butter and a very small handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips and I have myself instant HEALTHY ice-cream that is both salty and sweet! I wonder if kids would know the difference (if they like bananas, chocolate and peanut butter that is)??!!??!! Give it a try! It's also so easy that kids can make it themselves, with adult supervision that is. Experiment with different ingredients and tell me what you come up with! I think I'll give strawberries or blackberries a try next time!

1 comment: